Jump to content


Photo

Severe routing bugs


  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Matthias_H

Matthias_H

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 February 2012 - 06:36 AM

Dear TopoR Team,

After experimenting with the Free version of TopoR for quite a while, I was eager to try the new v5.3 to see if some of the old routing bugs have been fixed. Turns out they are not. All of these bugs have reported to Evgeniy Korneliyev and Elena Fulton who received me in a very friendly way, reassuring that those bugs were known and would be fixed in the near future. I also sent them some designs that show these problems. However, my first report dates back to January 2010 and as of today the bugs are still here. Here are a few examples:

Example 1: An autorouting variant with "0 Errors" leaves some wires unrouted.
Attached File  1-unrouted.png   4.76KB   33 downloads

Example 2: Freestyle Mode draws wires wildly across other wires in the same layer. After re-routing the conflicting wire in Manual Mode, resolving the errors, and switching back to Freestyle, the wire snaps back to the wrong position.
Attached File  2-crossing.png   24.97KB   37 downloads

Example 3: Switching between Manual and Freestyle makes routed wires magically disappear. After manually routing them again and switching back and forth, they are gone.

Example 4: Freestyle Mode produces non-DRC-compliant routings with wires that do not seem quite optimal. I last experienced this bug in version 5.2 because I haven't had the need to process this particular design ever since. However, since bugs 1-3 are still in there in the latest version, I would bet so is number 4.
Attached File  4-DRMIssues.gif   116.35KB   27 downloads

Overall, I like TopoR as a tool for easy manual routing and PCB beautification (my main design workflow is in EAGLE). You will find that I have in the past been very enthusiastic about your software, and recommended it in a couple of user forums. In fact, after using the free version in a handful projects, I'd love to buy a full license in the near future, even though I rarely hit the limits of the free version.

At the same time, however, these are serious issues that make it near impossible to work smoothly. Every time I correct one of the problems by hand, switching to Freestyle Mode and back kills it again. Even worse, with every update these bugs seem to appear more frequently and more severely (I have tried at least 7 different TopoR versions including the one available for download today). Am I the only one with these problems, and if not, when can we expect them to be fixed?

Kind regards,
Matthias Hullin

#2 Elena F

Elena F

    Administrator

  • Administrators
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:11 AM

Sorry for the late reply (was away at the Embedded World 2012, Nuremberg)

Example 1: An autorouting variant with "0 Errors" leaves some wires unrouted.
Attached File  1-unrouted.png   4.76KB   33 downloads


This error is quite rare, so it's quite difficult to trace and resolve it. We are working closely on such issues and if you could email the project to me it will be highly appreciated.

Suggestions given in previous emails remain the same: work with sensitive issues manually and fix the segments of wires.

Example 2: Freestyle Mode draws wires wildly across other wires in the same layer. After re-routing the conflicting wire in Manual Mode, resolving the errors, and switching back to Freestyle, the wire snaps back to the wrong position.
Attached File  2-crossing.png   24.97KB   37 downloads



There's been a few bugs fixed regarding wire snaps, but some of the issues remain and we hope to solve them asap.

Example 3: Switching between Manual and Freestyle makes routed wires magically disappear. After manually routing them again and switching back and forth, they are gone.


Well, this error is similar to "Example 1", so the suggestion for now is the same - fix the wires.


Example 4: Freestyle Mode produces non-DRC-compliant routings with wires that do not seem quite optimal. I last experienced this bug in version 5.2 because I haven't had the need to process this particular design ever since. However, since bugs 1-3 are still in there in the latest version, I would bet so is number 4.
Attached File  4-DRMIssues.gif   116.35KB   27 downloads


These are so called "insensitivities" that we are managing as well. There's been a lot of them traced and solved, so if you try the project you've mentioned in TopoR 5.3. you should see the difference.


All in all, severe routing bugs you were reporting are quite difficult to fix within short period of time, but we are working on them.
Thank you for the report and hope to hear from you soon (with a project attached :rolleyes: )
Elena F.

#3 Matthias_H

Matthias_H

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 01:32 AM

Thanks for your reply Elena. I sent Evgeniy the project files back in 2010.




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users